AnkhSVN - General

Welcome to the AnkhSVN feedback forum. Do you have an idea? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!

We track development issues in our issue tracker. Please add references to relevant issues.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow reverting of delete file commits

Once a file deletion has been committed, it is extremely difficult to undo this. The only way I managed to do it was to find the revision where it occurred in the History Viewer, choose "Revert changes from this revision" (thereby reverting *all* the changes done there) and then again reverting the other changes.

Much simpler if I could select the "delete file" action in the History Viewer's changed paths and choose "Revert".

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Implement change log dumping

I want to be able to push out the change log for my class libraries as text or rtf with my dll. For solutions I could see ways to auto generate change logs accessible from inside a program. A command line option would be nice for pre-build scripts, but a gui option would suffice.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Display status of a file in the document tab

I have no idea if this is even possible, but it would be very cool if the icon displaying the status of a file (new, added, modified, etc.) could also be shown in the tab of the documents.

I tried to fake an image to explain what I mean:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/522/ankhsvnstatusintabs.gif

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to automatically set the revision part of AssemblyFileVersion to the subversion revision

Although this may be possible using a pre-build script/macro, it would be great to have the ability to automatically update the revision part of the AssemblyFileVersion attribute each time the solution is built.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to set svn properties on multiple files at once and on entire folder recursively

Currently svn properties can be set only for a single file at once, for example, the 'svn:needs-lock' property.

It would be great if this could be done for multiple files at once or an entire folder recursively.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. browse for repository

I use the file system based repositories primarily and having to go into explorer, get the path, feed it through a text transformer to change the \ to /, then add in the file:/// in a text box that isn't big enough seems like way more steps than necessary.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend not to use file:/// based repositories as those don’t allow the full power of subversion (and it breaks the failsafe atomic commit support if you use network paths).

That said, we use the .Net Uri class to parse the uris and those automatically convert paths like ‘C:\repository’ to ‘file:///C:/repository’; for you. (so while it is not a documented feature it is pretty easy to paste local paths)

8. bug: "Locked by 'username'" always shows "?"

When one of my teammates try to lock a file that is already locked by another developer, the prompt that says
    the file(s) are locked always shows "?" instead of the username of the person that locked the file.

We tried the following steps to solve the problem:
    *Upgrade AnkhSVN and VisualSVN Server to their latest versions (AnkhSVN 2.4.11610) (VisualSVN 2.5.6)
    *Upgrade the repository format to Subversion 1.5 format
    *The above steps didn't have an effect at all, so what we did later was to downgrade to AnkhSVN 2.3.11269

Even after downgrading, It still didn't have an effect - when…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Annotate should offer 'include merge info' option

AnkhSvn annotate shoudl offer a option like TortoiseSVN blame to include the merge information.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Spell and grammar check for commit messages

It would be great if a simple spell/grammar check was added to AnkhSVN, I often find myself double checking my grammar using word or at times even gmail. A spell checker is so common nowadays that I was quite surprised it is not yet on the roadmap. It reduces the amount of (unintended) typos ending up in the repository history, a must have for enterprise grade tooling.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. AnkhSVN Fails To Show Changed Files in Pending Changes Window

AnkhSVN with VS2017:

Project member files fail to appear in the Pending Changes window. Some part of the VS2017 / AnkhSVN combo misplaces the fact that the file is part of the project, per the Source Control Info panel. Loading the solution afresh works around the problem, but is not acceptable.

See this thread for more detail:

https://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=582&dsMessageId=602003

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Edit Conflicts

I was not able to find anything in Ankh ( Visual Studio) which lets me browse conflicted files.

Note that some of the resolve options (e.g. Edit Conflicts) require a merge tool to be setup in Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Subversion user tools

Would like to view and edit the conflicts in Ankh itself.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Remove Dependency on Solution

Currently, I work with a team of developers using TFS, but would like to switch to SVN. Here's the problem. Our TFS project has many VS2008 projects in it. We have two websites and multiple DLL projects. Some developers require only one website and a handful of DLLs and other requires all or another set. Up until now each user was responsible for setting up their own solution, which worked well for us since not everyone needed everything. Also, our web sites are run through IIS since we need the ability to have virtual directories pointing at common data arrays…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The project paths that are stored in the solution will be per user overridable in the near future. (Best guess +- January 2009). This is part of the enlistment support planned for some time. It is recommended to share the solution file (especially on websites as the .sln actually contains the project references). AnkhSVN can’t redesign the Visual Studio project model, but we will try to implement optional parts of the SCC specification with some more user configuration options than other products. (e.g. allow customizing most user project paths, while TFS and VSS only allow editting enlist enabled projects).

Please contact me via the users@ankhsvn.open.collab.net list if you have further questions.

15. Offline Checkout for "needs-lock" files

"Needs-lock" files must be locked before editing. When Server is not available, ReadOnly attribute (R) must be deleted with File-Explorer, should be possible within Viaual Studio.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add the option to create a repository

Currently the only thing I resort to tortioseSVN for is gui based repository creation. Then I have to feed the explorer path through a text transformation to fix the \ to / then append a file:/// in a textbox that by default doesn't accomdate the extremely long paths I have here at work.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend not to create local repositories, but instead share a server repository (or create repositories there).

Note that AnkhSVN accepts normal paths in most boxes that accept a repository URL, because the System.Uri class automatically translates this to a file:/// uri. (Clicking in the browser then shows the real Uri)

17. Allow to modify colors used by various windows

I'm using the dark theme in VS2013 and I can barely see the changeset title headers in the pending changes window.

They are set to a dark blue with a dark background. While the dark blue is a nice fit for the default theme it is not for the dark theme.

Please add a section in Font & Colors settings of VS.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Option to control how much of the path you want to see.

I really only care about the filename and maybe the parent folder of what ever file is being effected. Currently right now you see the whole path meaning every time I commit I have to make the columns bigger to see what I am commit and I have to resize it every time.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. More information in Recent Changes window

I suggest you show more information in the Recent Changes window. This is the window which shows what happened to the repository, but it does so in a way which makes it suboptimal. In particular:

1) If a remote change occured, I want to be able to see (for changes on the repository which I do not yet have):
    a) The committer
    b) The revision number (so I can see which changes are part of one commit)
    c) The commit message
    d) (optional) The commit date and time

2) The "compare" SplitButton defaults to "Compare with Original Version". However, in…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. AnkhSVN does not release selection after running other extension (like "VSFileNav")

After running "VSFileNav" using hotkey ("Ctrl + 1") and pressing "Enter" on them, AnkhSVN open previously selected file.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

AnkhSVN - General

Feedback and Knowledge Base