I suggest you ...

Keep update window open after update complete

I'd like it if the update (get latest version) window either stayed open after the update had completed, or there was an option to allow this. My reasoning is that information about what changes the update has performed are displayed in the window, along with the revision you are updating to, but since it closes as soon as it's finished you don't really get a chance to look at this information.

272 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The update window is a modal dialog. If we were to keep this open, there’s no way to use Visual Studio without closing it.
    We will need to add another way to take a look at recent changed made by others by either caching the updated files list, or the before/after revision and showing the log messages between the two.

Note:
    1) that update output is always logged to the Subversion page of the output window.

2) All pending conflicts (even to files not referenced in the repository) are always shown in the pending changes window.

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alla' HudhudAlla' Hudhud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, and it would be great if you allow me to see the new changes, and resolving the conflicted files from same window like in original svn.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The update window would highly benefit from being modal and stay for update review.
        Adding some more right click options on each file (revert, merge local copy, show history, resolve conflict...) would also be a great deal.

Without that, updating with Ankh is barely usable. I get sweat drops on my forhead every time I use it, expecting to miss the conflicts that will ruin my next hours of work. I'd rather use TortoiseSNV...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes the update window should be kept open. Without this one has to revert back to Tortoise SVN to update the local copy. I like Ankh but hate it when I need to switch to TortoiseSVN for such a simple task.
        [2]

• Fadi Abou DibFadi Abou Dib commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate having the dialog close automatically at times to speed things up. However, at other times, this can really bother me. I believe it depends on the project, and on who you're talking to (developer, project manager...). How about adding a global setting in the form of a checkbox through which you can opt-in to keep the dialog open when updating is done. If this can be done on a project basis, I believe it would be much better, however, I doubt that can be achieved.

• Dominic AmannDominic Amann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also don't see a problem with it being modal - so what - you have to look at what was changed and click Ok before using Studio. Why is this a problem? It IS a problem that information is supposedly shown to me, but flashes by so fast I cannot read it. It might just as well be a scroll bar dialog for all the good it does right now.

• SumaSuma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe someone is not aware the is a workaround for this: list of updated files can be found in the Output window, in the "section" called Anhk - Subversion.

• FlintZAFlintZA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add another vote for this. I actually don't mind at all that the window is modal and that I would have to close it before continuing work in studio, I would just like to be able to review the files that changed. Of course first prize would be something like the TortoiseSVN update dialog that allows in-place conflict resolution.

• John SimonsJohn Simons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the problem with the modal dialog and not being able to do anything with VS until is closed.
        Why don't you create a new tab in the Pending Changes window, instead of using a modal dialog. this tab would contain the info you currently display on the modal dialog + Show Changes + one column with the name of the user that did the change + view history :)
        By a new tab I mean a 5th vertical tab on the left.
        John

• IshwarIshwar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes the update window should be kept open. Without this one has to revert back to Tortoise SVN to update the local copy. I like Ankh but hate it when I need to switch to TortoiseSVN for such a simple task.

• Rémi Després-SmythRémi Després-Smyth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - I would love to review which files have just been updated, etc..., in case I feel I should review some of the updated files and/or ensure no problems from the changes prior to continuing my work.

• www.hostmasterwww.hostmaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, currently keeping the modal dialog open would be better. I would really like to take a longer look at the result (and maybe copy&paste something) before it disappears.
        In the long term, a "history" of updates would be nice. But that is not a major priority for me.

(mk)

Feedback and Knowledge Base