I suggest you ...

Remove Dependency on Solution

Currently, I work with a team of developers using TFS, but would like to switch to SVN. Here's the problem. Our TFS project has many VS2008 projects in it. We have two websites and multiple DLL projects. Some developers require only one website and a handful of DLLs and other requires all or another set. Up until now each user was responsible for setting up their own solution, which worked well for us since not everyone needed everything. Also, our web sites are run through IIS since we need the ability to have virtual directories pointing at common data arrays that we all share. Because of this, each developer is responsible to create and name their own site in IIS. This info is also the Solution. So from what I can tell using SVN with your plugin, each developer would need the exact same solution and setup and I'm not sure we can live with that. It's the solution that makes things "machine/user" specific. I would hate to lose that.

I also worked with another set of develpers on a Flex Builder (Eclipse) project using SVN with Subversive. In fact, the success of that project is the reason I want the company to switch from TFS to SVN on the website projects. In Eclipse, each developer can set up a workspace that suits their needs using different pieces from the reposistory. I was hoping to get some sort of functionality like that using VS2008.

Anyway, that's the story why I would like to remove the dependency onf the solution file. I'm not sure if that's something that can ever change though. Maybe someone will let me know.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
markdemich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The project paths that are stored in the solution will be per user overridable in the near future. (Best guess +- January 2009). This is part of the enlistment support planned for some time. It is recommended to share the solution file (especially on websites as the .sln actually contains the project references). AnkhSVN can’t redesign the Visual Studio project model, but we will try to implement optional parts of the SCC specification with some more user configuration options than other products. (e.g. allow customizing most user project paths, while TFS and VSS only allow editting enlist enabled projects).

Please contact me via the users@ankhsvn.open.collab.net list if you have further questions.

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • lalcala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 For me, we want to migrate .Net webproject (made with VS2008) to Subversion and we need this kind of features.

Feedback and Knowledge Base