I suggest you ...

add better support for svn:externals

Two things from the top of my head around svn:externals that I think would be useful
1. Some GUI to easily add external folder (like project already being part of another solution in shared repository) to solution.
2. Some visual indication that project is an external reference.
3. Some indication that there exists newer version of the project being referenced in its original location. (i.e. when bugfixes have been introduced)

139 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Krzysztof KoźmicKrzysztof Koźmic shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stefan EgliStefan Egli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see something that allows me to configure the externals definition very easily. Basically that I need one click to see a dialog that allows me to edit the definitions directly (not having to go through context menu and the finally some "Edit" button). Usually updating the externals definition means to change the revision: If this were really easy people would not be tempted to use "HEAD" for the externals which works fine while developing but if you check out something like this some time later you probably have a broken build.

• www.hostmasterwww.hostmaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A three level tree view. Root is the whole solution. Next level the different externals. And under them a flat list of the changed files. Each node (and each file) has a check mark. If i check/uncheck a node it selects/deselects everything below.
        Shown are files to commit or files with updates.

(mk)

• www.hostmasterwww.hostmaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A modified version of the Pending Changes dialog. Now Pending Changes/Updates.
        1) Of the OP is adding a new path. One sees the structure and there is no need for glyphs in the solution explorer.

(mk)

• rhuijbenAdminrhuijben (Bert Huijben, AnkhSVN & SharpSvn Projects) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How would you envision 'visually showing that a project is an external reference'.?

For the solution explorer VS has an absolute maximum of 14 glyphs that are availabe in the solution explorer. (All of those in used by AnkhSVN), so we would have to drop another glyph to support an unchanged external project.. then drop another one to draw a changed external project, etc.

Suggestions welcome?

• fschrickerfschricker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Esp. idea 1) and 2) would be great! Externals is a great feature of Subversion and better integration of them (we use them a lot) in Ankh would be appreciated a lot around here...

Feedback and Knowledge Base