I suggest you ...

Allow to add files that are not part of the solution

I have files in my project structure that are not part of the solution, nevertheless, i'd like to put them in svn.
The reason the files are not in the solution is that they are used to build the project, but are not part of the source distribution of the project. In this case i am talking about msbuild tasks files...

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We currently recommend that we add files like this with operation ‘none’ to the project (or to a special project for these files: e.g. solution folder or C++ makefile project).

We are looking into extending this for future versions

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • gbjbaanb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely you can just add a new folder in the solution and add the files to that, then Ankh can manage them just like the others, and you can see their status etc as for any other file. I add readme and other files to my solution in a 'Documents' project folder, it works well and is a much better fit than extending Ankh to track files not under visual studio control.

• Lucifer79 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this feature too.

Couldn't you decouple the UI and make it work with TortoiseSVN, so that users have the power of the IDE integration with keeping the flexibility of Shell control?

• jan.doms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i would like this feature too .. in our case there are also files that are used to generate other source files, a lib and doc directory etcetera which we don't want as a part of the visual studio solution file. It would be nice if ankh could show these files in the dialog when you want to commit the changes for the entire solution. Adding them could still be done using tortoise-svn (which we use too mainly because of this 'shortcoming')

let me know and thx in advance,
        Jan

• martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't you use the "Show All Files" option in the solution explorer (icon at the top of the solution explorer) to make these files visible and then add them to subversion via the context menu?

Feedback and Knowledge Base